1. Cedar Creek is an absolute locals favourite, head out to Conway for a dip in the beautiful falls, all this rain will have the falls roaring! After you’ve finished exploring Cedar Creek keep driving out to Conway Beach and grab some lunch from George’s Diner – you’ll be forgiven for thinking you’ve stepped back in time to an authentic 50’s Diner.
2. The Whitsunday region is rich with local history, there is no better place to dive in and learn all about our spectacular region than at the Proserpine Historical Museum. Learn how our diverse region came to be, how our indigenous ancestors first lived or how our pioneers settled – you’ll be sure to impress your friends with so much local knowledge.
3. Load up your favourite playlist and hit the road! Just 90 minutes north via Bowen is Collinsville, heart of coal country. If you’re looking for an authentic pub lunch look no further than the Collinsville Workers Club for good Aussie pub grub.
4. Lake Proserpine home of the Barra! Take a short drive up to Lake Proserpine in the to the north west of the Whitsundays hinterland and try your hand at catching a Barra from Lake Proserpine.
5. Both Proserpine and Bowen have some of the best child friendly community water parks in Queensland, tell me a kid that doesn’t love running around in the rain while playing with in water!? These water parks which are sure to keep the kids more than happy for hours – no cabin fever here!
6. Spa treatments… talk about ultimate relaxation! Rain, massage treatment… SIGN ME UP! The Whitsundays has a myriad of relaxing day spa options with a great menu of options from hot stone, facials, mani and pedis… Why not block out the whole day and get it all done. ZEN!
7. 9-Pin Bowling – pack up the kids and head over to Hamilton Island, 9-pin bowling dates back to the 11th Century, though once you’re in the bowling alley it’ll feel anything but 11th Century with 7 lanes, amusement arcade and a fully licensed bar– jump on one of the many ferry services from Airlie Beach to Hamilton Island and make your way into the Resort Centre.
8. Bowen’s Summergarden Theatre cannot be missed, aside from catching the latest Hollywood blockbuster, try and get Ben De Luca who was named 2018’s Queensland Cinema Pioneer of the Year. Ben has been a familiar face at Summergarden Theatre for over 67 years, he’s got all the best stories.
9. Ever wondered what happens at an authentic beach-side pub on a rainy tropical day? Jump in the car and drive to the Dingo Beach Hotel. The locals are super friendly and always have a good story to share, the food is great, and most importantly the beer is cold!